FLAT ROOF REPLACEMENT & INSPECTION
This guide will give you some guidelines when to replace your flat roof in Edmonton. With Edmonton’s changing seasons you do not want to get caught with a leaky roof!
- Age of the Roof – A typical flat roof will need to be replaced every 20 – 25 years. The quality and type of initial materials used will also change the lifespan. With the changing weather in Edmonton the lifespan could be significantly lessened. Most businesses plan the replacement of their roof around this time.
- Inspect the Roof – Yearly inspection should be done on your roof by yourself or a professional. If you notice that the roof has water pooling, leaks or the membrane seems to be damaged, it is time to call a professional. We have created a checklist below that you can use to make sure your roof is in good shape.
- Maintenance – When was the last time you had your roof maintained? Wind, freezing water, rain and exposure can all shorten the lifespan of your roof. If it is properly maintained, you can extend the life of your roof.
- Visible Damage
- Debris and Dirt
- Color fade or chalking
- Damage/wear & tear around: Chimneys, vents, skylights, fascia, drip edges and decking
- Interior roofing components such as rafters and roof trusses should be inspected for signs of mold, mildew and rot
- Expansion joints should be checked for excessive movement
- Interior walls should be inspected for signs of water damage
- Ceiling should be inspected for signs of moisture
- Exterior walls should be inspected for signs of leakage
- Roof edges should be checked for deterioration
- Discoloration at lap joints
- Substrate firmness should be evaluated
- Penetrations should be filled and patched as required
- Gutters and drainage systems should be cleared
- Roof-mounted HVAC systems should be checked
- Surface should be inspected for deposits, ponding, growths, vandalism and wear and tear
copyright © 2019 m.d. roofing & sheet metal all rights reserved