Advantages of SBS Roofing
When dealing with your commercial flat roof, have you ever stopped to wonder, “What is the best roofing option for my building?” We have put together some information as to why we feel that SBS modified bitumen roofs are the most reliable for commercial roofing in Edmonton.
What is SBS Modified Bitumen Roofing?
Styrene-Butadiene-Styrene (SBS) is a type of synthetic rubber created from styrene and butadiene. To be more technical, SBS is a thermoplastic elastomer that has excellent abrasion resistance and, when blended with bitumen, has much greater ageing stability. This combination makes it the perfect bitumen modifier to achieve cold flexibility and elastic properties, which is vital based on Edmonton’s extreme weather fluctuations. This material can retain its shape after being stretched, which is what makes it an excellent option for flat roof applications.
10 Advantages of SBS Modified Bitumen Roofing
- Compatible with all types of flat roofing applications.
- Highly resistant to the extreme Edmonton weather conditions such as high and low temperatures, rain, snow, ice and the freeze-thaw process.
- The life expectancy of SBS modified bitumen is remarkable. Even after ageing, it retains its flexibility and elasticity, making it the ideal flat roof solution.
- The SBS bitumen blend provides excellent dimensional stability enabling the waterproofing system to accommodate any building movement.
- Installation is simple and applied through a variety of methods such as hot mopping, torch-on, heat-welded, or adhered using a cold-process adhesive, depending on building specifications, etc.
- Installation of an SBS modified bitumen roofing system provides security and peace of mind for the building owner, knowing that their property is protected against the elements.
- When compared against other roofing coverings, SBS modified bitumen is highly resistant to mechanical damage and puncturing. Depending on the traffic requirements of the surface, SBS modified bitumen can is made more robust to meet resistance requirements.
- Excellent adhesion to the substrate on a flat roof installation (demonstrated by peel testing)
- Quality control increases when installing factory produced rolls of SBS modified bitumen.
- In most cases, when a bitumen flat roof system reaches the end of its service life, a single layer overlay can be installed over the top of the existing system to extend and renew the longevity of the roofing coverage.
Additional Benefits of SBS Roofing
SBS modified bitumen roofs are developed by taking the best attributes of a built-up roofing system and combining that with the qualities of a single-ply roof. In a standard SBS modified bitumen roof, you will have a base sheet with waterproofing similar to a single-ply system.
As mentioned previously, SBS roofing provides improved resistance to weathering and ageing. This roofing option is excellent for areas where hot asphalt is unable to be used, such as hospitals, schools, and high-rises. SBS modified bitumen roofs can be maintained by in house staff, unlike single ply, which must be maintained by an “authorized contractor.”
Ultimately, roofing systems are only as good as the installer. MD Roofing takes pride in providing the best commercial roof systems in Edmonton and the surrounding area. We believe in the service that we provide, and we back it with a 10-year guarantee.
Time to install or replace your Edmonton commercial flat roof? Give the experts at MD Roofing a call today.